Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Bertie and Ash Wednesday

(For me Ash Wednesday always reminds me of Bertie Ahern getting the ash mark at Mass in the morning and it alternately fading and strengthening during the day)

Where did Bertie keep his ashes
to top up his mark of Lent?
Did his aide arrange small stashes
everywhere the fecker went?
Did he stuff them in his pocket
after Mass, when he was leaving?
Did he keep them in a locket
like a widow who is grieving?
Did his secretary buy them
and secrete them in her bag
till he needed to apply them
when his penance seemed to sag?
All the papers would wax lyrical;
some claimed it was black paint!
But perhaps it was a miracle
and he really was a saint?

4 comments:

Short Poems said...

Great write and lovely page. Love it :)

Friko said...

I wouldn't know the answer to this particular puzzle but I remember that I used the stove's ash as a child when I couldn't be bothered to attend Ash Wednesday service before school and didn't dare appear without the cross.

Ah, happy days, long gone now.

Peter Goulding said...

Thanks Short Poems and Friko!

MichaelSheils said...

St Bertie, patron of brown envelopes.

SheriffI